AOP Finance Officer
Closing Date Monday 10 April
The role will be responsible for the Management Accounts, all payments and receipts, reconciliation and Financial Reporting for the association. You will also mange the Payroll, VAT return and prepare the accounts for the Auditors. You will play a key role in planning and budgeting for the Association’s activities and will manage the Cashflow, its reporting and projection.
Reporting to the Executive Director you will also be expected to work with the Marketing and Events Manager and others within the AOP team.
The role will require an individual to balance strategic capacity, numeric abilities and energy with a strong operational and delivery orientation. The range of responsibilities that will typify the role are developed further below:
Summary of responsibilities:
• Overall responsibility for financial accounting, management accounting and internal control systems for the AOP
• You will support the organisation in developing its financial strategy, its ability to report management information, analyse and report risk
• You will help ensure the Association complies with all relevant legislation and regulations from HM Revenue & Customs
• You will be responsible for the reconciliation of accounts
• You will prepare monthly and annual management accounts, budgets, forecasts and cashflow projections
• You will be responsible for the accounting system (SAGE Line 50)
• Maintain overall responsibility for the computerised accounting systems, including sales ledger, purchase ledger, cash book, payroll system, nominal ledger and balance sheet
• Provide accounting information to our external accountants, who will prepare the statutory accounts for the Association and liaise with them during this period to ensure a satisfactory outcome.
• Prepare, reconcile, adjust and present the Management Accounts, Cash Flows and Balance Sheet to the Executive Director every month
• Preparation of other financial information and reports for the Board
• Report to the Finance Committee as and when required
• With the Executive Director and Finance Committee, produce the annual budget.
• Prepare and update cash flow forecasts and advise accordingly
• Liaise with ED and staff budget holders on preparation of project/cost centre budgets. Co-ordinate information from these and adjust budget and forecasts as required. Highlight any un-budgeted items and notify thereof
• Prepare reports for other financial management purposes as and when requested e.g. on subscriptions, salaries, etc.
• Produce royalties report for contributors to Beyond the Lens so enable correct recompense.
• Reconcile payments made both online and during external AOP events
• General Cash Flow management
• VAT – calculate, prepare returns and liaise with HMRC
• PAYE and all dealings with Inland Revenue
• Staff salary payments including overtime and payments to any freelance or temporary staff
• Preparation of paperwork for new and departing staff
• Working with outside agencies process the AOP pension scheme
• Run monthly staff payroll
• Processing and posting invoices. Generate and check reports. Preparation of suppliers’ payment lists
• Allocate invoices. Obtain authorisation from budget holder. Assist budget holder in dealing with any discrepancies and notify ED
• Provide posted invoices approved by budget holder to ED for review
• Raise invoices and pay suppliers
• Negotiate late payment where needed
• Prepare aged creditors list.
• Checking and approving subscription invoices
• Raise Sponsorship invoices and allocate income
• With ED agree policy for unpaid members and for pursuing other unpaid bad debts.
• Oversee accounting entries for the Petty Cash and the Staff and Board Expenses
• Responsible for the reconciliation of all bank accounts
• Liaise with bank on day-to-day matters
• Ensure that the Bank receives quarterly management accounts and other reports, as required
End of Year Accounts
• Prepare accounts to trial balance
• Prepare all supporting paperwork and provide to auditors
• Identify and review any differences between management accounts and year-end accounts and discuss with ED and Auditor
• Liaise with Auditor and deal with questions
• You will be the point of contact for the Finance Area of the Association. You may also be expected to maintain a number of lists and databases, relating to membership, activities and events that we may run.
• You will be a member of the Finance Committee (Working Group).
• You will undertake any other duties as and when reasonable requested to do so, by the Executive Director
• You will have experience of financial management
• Extensive experience of Sage financial reporting software and other financial systems
• Confident and experienced with the working with the Subscriber membership CRMs; the AOPs current system, or similar
Terms and Condition
The role is based at the AOP offices at Holborn Studios, Eagle Wharf Road, London N1
Salary in the range £30,000
Working hours (37.5 hour week), the AOP office is normally operates between 9am – 6pm Monday to Friday, though some evening and weekend working will be required.
20 days holiday per year plus 8 Bank Holidays and 3 other days over Christmas when the office is closed